Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Take a look. It's in a book.

Books are awesome.
If you don't think so, we can't be friends. ;]

I have a GINORMOUS collection of books to read and for some reason, I keep adding to the pile. I buy most of them from Half Price Books so I don't feel bad about hoarding it up literary style. I always check the clearance section for books...quite a few of that stack came from Half Price Books clearance for 2 bucks!

I am currently reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Success as a Chef by Leslie Bilderback
I really enjoy it honestly. I got it because it had a huge list of The Classical Brigade System by Escoffier all in one place that was easy to understand. And then once I started reading it, I ended up loving the author's honesty. 



Other books in my stack to read are...
The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain 
Under the Table by Katherine Darling
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
Julie & Julia by Julie Powell
My Life in France by Julia Child
The Pastry Chef's Companion by Glenn and Laura Rinsky
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks [Not cooking! what?!]
The Making of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman
Becoming a Chef by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page

Here is another I want to check out..
The Devil in the Kitchen: Sex, Pain, Madness, and the Making of a Great Chef by Marco Pierre White

6 comments:

Catherine said...

looks lovely! I adore books. I'm currently reading the last in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. The first book was good but the others are just ok, but I have to see what happens at the end. :)

I'm also reading random poetry books, and next I want to read Shadow of Night, the sequel to A Discovery of Witches.

Happy reading!

xx, C

PHunkyPuHnk said...

My stack of books to read is like 3 stacks x 3 feet. What I am in the middle of reading is just ridiculous: Alias Grace, Turn of the Screw, Dracula, The Foundation Trilogy, plus a handful of books about fiction writing. But of course those are all difficult reads (as in it takes longer than day and I have to pay attention) so I've set them aside to read a number of cheesy mysteries. So I am also in the middle of reading Whiskey Sour (A Jack Daniels mystery) and a knitting mystery and about to crack open A is for Alibi, curtesy of my local library.

I wish I had more time for reading so I can finish the books I have waiting and all those other great books out there that I probably won't get to in my lifetime :( And now the Reading Rainbow theme song is in my head!

NeaCakes said...

LOL My cookbooks that I read are Pioneer WOman and Paula Deen. Cuz I might be a little bit southern in this cali daisy dukes body. Im gonna check some of these out

-V said...

@ Catherine -- o0o I think A Discovery of Witches was a series I wanted to read and suggested for my book group. And Yes...I LOVE to read!

-V said...

@ Stevie -- haha Mine is pretty high too. Those are just SOME of the cooking/chef books I bought to read. Then there is the stack in my computer room that is about 2 feet tall by 8 feet wide on the floor because I've not bought bookshelves yet. I cannot read more than one book at a time! I never understood how people do that.

-V said...

@ Twinkle -- haha. I so just pictured you cooking in cowgirl boots. And yesss...OMG Check out Anthony Bourdain - Kitchen Confidential, it is pretty AWESOME. Story of his life/etc. Synopsis includes - "laying out his more than a quarter-century of drugs, sex, and haute cuisine"